Monday 2 February 2015

Project 02 - Face Drawing

Life drawing session the other day. The model pulled various faces we had 3 minutes to draw before she switched.

I changed my drawing technique after almost every drawing; varying the ratio of time between looking at her and the page.

Some of these have nice detail but are completely inaccurate whereas others are fairly minimalist. I think the minimalistic approach works better.

In these drawings, the idea was that we'd only draw the shadow. My drawing are pretty inconsistent again and I switched up the ratios again too.




I'm liking the hatched shading technique in the top right picture. I used a similar shading technique on a smaller scale with the 3rd along the bottom. It's fairly minimalistic again but with just enough detail for the viewer/player to understand the features. 

Applying some kind of minimalistic render to my sculptures is almost certainly a bad idea. It might look cool but We'll probably be marked with finer detail so I should probably make sure everything is visible. 
I guess I could do something like that for promo shots?
or to see what it might look like in minimalistic games such as Obra Din (Lucas Pope).

The drawing do look quite a lot like the faces I drew in the cathedral. Something about weird expressions is spooky. Probably falls into the uncanny valley.
 Vsauce - Uncanny Valley

I think the uncanny valley is particularly strong with some of these life drawings. Like Michael says in the video, it often occurs when something sits between safe and unsafe and/or something which is ambiguous in its humanity. 

I think my proportions are off a little in this life drawing so the figure looks less human so much so that it's ambiguous to whether it is or not. 

I can definitely replicate this in my sculpts.

It's worth doing because of how uncanny so many gargoyles tend to look.

PS. I think uncanny-ness is exaggerated further when the figure is doing something human-like (but maybe slightly incorrectly?) too. A human-imposter.




No comments:

Post a Comment