Thursday 12 February 2015

Project 02 - Textures and Topology

Just another quick variation on the idea. I liked the idea of the brain showing through the skull.

I made a skull subtool and a brain subtool in order to mock up the idea.

Looking at the sculpt now though I think it looks too zombie-like. I'm not sure the viewer will be able to relate to the character.

So I think I'll stick with the other version.





I've also been using the various alpha settings to create texture.


The skin now has very feint noise so that it doesn't look so smooth. I have however smoothed the noise inside the mouth and on the ears for example.

I've applied a kind of rocky/ cracking skin texture to the cheek and partially on the ears because I feel like the viewer will be able to relate to how uncomfortable it would be. I've also tried to replicate the folds of the lower eyelid with the rake brush. I used the rake brush more faintly on the lips too to recreate the texture.

The sculpt has 3 levels of subdivision.
I used a mixture of decimation master and Zremesher to create the topology. I drew ZRemesherGuides using what I'd learned through reading and this image as reference.
I also drew ZRemesherGuides along creases.

I still think there are too many polygons on flat, less animated areas so I have that to work on still.
Then again, I do need quite a few polygons if I'm going to have that cracking texture.

I've also applied the same topology techniques to the other subtools in the gargoyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment