Thursday 5 February 2015

Project 02 - Eraserhead Spoilers

I knew this film would be relevant to the project because of its uncanny nature.
The film subverts the viewers expectations brilliantly by setting up a scene done in many movies and then surprising the viewer when it goes differently. Surprises are funny, and especially weird when juxtaposed with the surrealist-horror theme of the rest of the film.





I won't explore the cinematography or metaphors too much because it's not relevant to the project

One of the creepy things that stood out to me is how obviously 1-dimensional the characters all are; most of them keep the same expression or two for the whole time they're on camera. This is clearly intentional and it feels creepy because you can never be sure whether their expression represents what they are feeling or whether it's a metaphorical mask, hiding something else.

This scene features one of the only characters with much of a personality.

Her cheeks are all swollen and scarred (reminds me of my operation) as she smiles, enjoying the experience of playing with and crushing the fetuses on the ground.

The scarring is interesting because it makes the swelling look painful, causing the viewer to revel back in sympathy/empathy.
 
This is what may face looked like a few days after having both of my jaws displaced. The operation was called a (Bi-maxillary Ostectomy).

It looks uncomfortable because it was. My jaws were clamped together for 2 weeks but it was a surprisingly enjoyable experience nevertheless.

I definitely think I can replicate the soreness this picture and the one above evokes in a sculpture though. I think it'll improve the creepy factor.











The scene where Henry cuts open the baby's bandages was my favorite and the most powerful scene for sure. The shock when you realize that the only thing keeping the baby still alive has been torn apart is pretty strong and watching it shake in pain is quite distressing.

That's the emotion I'm looking for with my gargoyle.
My sweeping statement for the day is:

"The stronger the emotional reaction, the better the artwork."

No comments:

Post a Comment