Wednesday 4 February 2015

Project 02 - Apex 2015

I did no work whatsoever on Sunday because I was watching Super Smash Brothers Melee (SSBM) at Apex 2015 on twitch. Since Ryan and Jake Neal did their lecture I've been able to consider SSBM as a viable source of income.
I was surprised to learn that the winnings for the tournament are considerably smaller than a lot of other competitive games such as Starcraft 2 and DotA 2.
I think most competitive gamers and speedrunners make the majority of their income through twitch streaming rather than tournaments. For a lot of people it's a job on the side too, rather than the main source of income.

Regarding our essay on roles within the industry, I don't think I'll work towards competitive gaming/ speed running as a main goal; rather a secondary hobby/job besides:
Games Designer/ Management?
Game Theorist?
Fine Artist (making interactive works of art)?
Game Journalism?

No comments:

Post a Comment