Thursday 5 February 2015

Project 02 - SpookyFace

I've been trying to use a lot of the techniques I spoke about in previous posts about making creepy things.

One of the things I like about this piece is that it's very difficult to tell the emotion of the gargoyle. From some angles it looks like it's smiling, others angry and some angles it just looks goofy.

I was inspired by the baby from Eraserhead so I've modeled an  asymmetrical spine from which to hang the lungs and other organs from (which I haven't modeled yet).

The end of the spine will be where the gargoyle is attached to the wall and the head is pulling away from it with the organs hanging down.

I also wanted the head to be ambiguous in what creature it's supposed to be.
Is it human? alien? is it an animal or a demon?
It certainly defies any laws of physics or physical health for that matter. That's why I think it'll be really creepy when I'm done.


I've taken extra care to model the spine realistically using stock photos as reference.

But also scarily by exaggerating the pointy parts and making it all twisted and grizzly.

The idea is that the water will run (pumped?) through the spine and come out of the gargoyles mouth with bits of water leaking out around the organs to look like they're bleeding.


Anyways, just thought I'd quickly update the blog before I go to sleep. I'll work on this gargoyle some more tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment