Sunday 6 December 2015

3 Week Prototype - Horizontal Movement

In this single player mock up, the players goal is to get to checkered door

I made the game again from scratch to more easily work with the new movement and shooting/reflecting both left and right 

I've done as much as I can to make the transition from 1D movement to 2D movement as easy as possible for the player

For example, if the player jumps whilst standing and their head would hit the ceiling, the game automatically makes them crouch until their is room for them to stand up again. Obviously if the player holds the crouch button during this time they will say crouched until it is released (and there is room to stand up)

I'm quite proud of what I've made so far. With a bit of practice it becomes very easy to make the character do exactly what you want.

I had to make the character smaller relative to the size of the screen so the player can see more of the level and plan accordingly. It allows me to make harder challenges without them getting frustrating.

I also made some challenge rooms with endlessly bouncing bullets to test quite how well the movement holds up in a sadistic kind of platforming environment. It works very well. I think this game has a lot of potential.

Download this version of the game HERE

Also I made a version where you could charge the shots to make them go faster like in 'Towerfall' and honestly it wasn't as fun so I scrapped it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment