Wednesday 2 December 2015

3 Week Prototype - Horizontal Movement 01

This gif shows another prototype I made for the horizontal movement. I call it DashDancer after the style of movement a lot of competitive SuperSmashBros:Melee Players use; Dash Dancing.

A gif showing competitive SSBM player 'Mang0' dash dancing
Dash Dancing is to bait an attack from your opponent by moving within their attack range only to move out of their attack range before the attack hits. This allows the player to punish the opponents 'lag' frames after the attack when they briefly cannot move or attack again.

Originally I intended dashing to be the primary horizontal movement for our player
However
It actually takes quite a lot of control away from the player making it very easy to accidentally run off the edge or into a bullet



In this gif (on the right) I've created various platforms for the player to jump between and you can see that it makes movement quite staggered.

When the player crouches it halts their horizontal movement speed.

This works somewhat but I feel that combined with the vertical movement I already have in place it could confuse the player.



I suggest an alternative 

The number of buttons the player has to press at once is already quite high but I'm going to experiment with a 'dash button' that when held makes your movements more dash like. Or maybe a button that automatically dashes you in the direction you're facing.

No comments:

Post a Comment