Saturday 24 January 2015

Project 02 - Zbrush Animal Deformation

After visiting the museum I had some more fun with Zbrush

With the bird theme still in mind I modeled this creatures head. No direction other than 'hey this looks cool' and 'gargoyles are like animals right?'.

I'm not really that proud of this piece to be honest. It's a little generic and plain. I didn't spend very long on it though. Ten minutes at most.







Then I made this walrus guy. It started off as an alligator but experimentation is good right?

I like this sculpture more every time I see it. He's a humorously goofy mix between cartoon-like and realistic.

I used the SnakeHook brush for the first time on this model too. 





I didn't take too long on the teeth but they definitely add another dimension to the piece. I like how they're not threateningly sharp too. Just a goofy walrus man. 

I think the water would look nice flowing out of the mouth. I imagine it would part around the lower lip and create two tiny waterfalls on either side.



I haven't considered how this gargoyle would be mounted. Gargoyles tend to be mounted on the corner of buildings and they'd need a bit for the (rain)water to flow in the back.







I changed the render settings for this image. I think it looks nicer.

I used this life drawing as reference for the gargoyle.








I thought the fluffy bits around the heads were really cool. I can assume they're there to make the bird look larger and more intimidating to predators. 

I used the Displace tool to create them, then I realized that they looked like ears which is even cooler, so I kept it that way.

You can see in this image that I even modeled a hearing canal.

I used bat references to create the detail inside the ears
I also modeled a gullet.

I used the TrimRect tool to flatten below the shoulders of the creature.

I image the water would be flowing from the eye holes or maybe the beak nostrils. It could even flow from the ears since they're the most prominent part of the sculpt.

I think I'm going to leave this piece as it is for now and maybe come back to it later on in the project.

Again, I haven't considered how the water will actually flow into it yet.
I feel like that comes later.

No comments:

Post a Comment