Friday 23 January 2015

Project 02 - Life drawing pt3

We had a live model recently whom I drew with chalk.
I like how much the chalk drawings assume of the viewer/player. We've got to use our imaginations to fill in the bits we don't see.

I'm not sure the proportions are that great on this drawing to be honest. It's difficult when you don't quickly flesh out a skeleton. The textures could be better too, they're a bit too rough in places.
























Then I drew her with chalk and pencil. I like this drawing a lot more. I semi-blind drew the skeleton/basic shapes. The proportions seem more accurate and the shading is a bit smoother. One problem would be that she's leaning too far back; her center of gravity is behind her back leg. Nevertheless, I'd say it was only <= 5 degrees out.

I noticed when drawing that I didn't feel like I was drawing a person. Normally I let my assumptions of how the form should flow affect my line work but I was able to put that aside for this piece. It could've been the way the method of drawing causes you to only draw little bits at a time coupled with the semi-blind starting point.
There are clearly some issues still as I mentioned with the angle and also with the left knee a little bit and perhaps the right arm slightly. I like the drawing though. It's certainly better that the first.


Some blind drawings of my friends in the pub. The look very ghostly, like those creepy humanoid gargoyles. Similar to the face In the cathedral I drew multiple times too.

I think these images could have benefited from more detail in the lines. I thought drawing drunk would make them better but I'm not sure they are.

I like how animal-like they look too. Maybe this is a good direction to take regarding combining animal power with human depth...

The semi-blind method works better than the completely blind drawing method I think generally. My college tutors always said that 85% of the time should be spent looking at the subject and 15% at the page.

This last drawing looks particularly creepy actually because it looks vulnerable combined with it's 3D-ness. It could totally climb out of the page. It looks indecisive too. It can't tell whether to walk on by or not; the viewer has caught her attention  just temporarily. Maybe this IS the depth I've been looking for.


No comments:

Post a Comment