Thursday 22 January 2015

Project 02 - Life Drawing

I spent the other day traversing town in search of gargoyles and in the cathedral I stumbled across a variety of faces carved into walls.
























I love this guys face, which is why I drew it so many times. It definitely has that creepiness so many gargoyles are able to evoke.











I call these kinds of drawings semi-blind drawings because I only look at the page when I'm not moving the pen. Not looking at the page when drawing allows me to express the detail accurately and quickly.

I thought this statue in the cathedral was gorgeous. One of the guides told me that it'd been hidden underground for many years to prevent it from being stolen. It's located right in the middle of the cathedral and the wings are wide open as to function as a board to rest papers on.


This organ gave me it's fair share of pareidolia (things that look like faces). It's definitely worth considering using something less lifelike as my gargoyle.

The way this light shone through the window left this hallway looking so beautiful I just had to take a picture. The coloring reminds me of Timothy J Reynolds low poly 3D illustrations.







Low Poly Timothy J Reynolds 3D illustration
I'd like to play with super low poly models in this project. I've been a fan of Reynolds work for a while so since I can finally make 3D it'd be a shame not to give it a go. I think what's so good about the pieces though is that although the models are low poly, the lighting and everything is modern. It creates a nice juxtaposition between low-poly nostalgia and modern vector illustrations.


No comments:

Post a Comment