Friday 23 January 2015

Project 02 - Life drawing pt2


After visiting the cathedral I made the most of my free student entry to the castle museum as I traversed the displays.

The first piece I found was this wooden dragon model. The information read that this model was used in the medieval times to commemorate the story in which it was slain by St. George. The story is similar to the founding of gargoyles and is from the same period.

These statues were in the fine-art section of the museum. old school statues always look so vacant, like they all have their own things to worry about and I'm watching them without their knowledge. There aren't many statues that I know of that really engage with the viewer/player other than play areas maybe? Do they even count. It feels like a lot of sculptures are 'DON'T TOUCH' with a 3 foot barrier all the way around but maybe I'm being ignorant. I visited the Yorkshire sculpture park a while ago and I do remember a few sculptures which were more like rooms you could walk into and a few you could climb on. I think a sculpture you could hug would be nice. Amongst all the vacant 'leave me alone' sculptures in a museum would be one sculpture  looking kindly towards you with arms wide open called 'hug me'.

Nevertheless I'm off topic now.

After visiting the sculptures I said hi to the stuffed animals in the 'natural history' part of the museum.







Like I said in a previous post, many gargoyles are based off of animals so it was in my best interest to get as much animal research as I could. Using my semi-blind drawing technique I drew a lot of them.



































































The energy in these drawings is awesome. and they all look very 3 dimensional. The ferocity of the polarbear to my right and the tiger further up really stands out in these drawings. This is quite a contrast to the vacant statues I saw earlier. The statues feel like they have a story behind their expressions where as the animals feel more simplistic in their emotions and this is expressed through a powerful engagement with the viewer/player.

It would be cool if I could combine the raw animal power with the depth of the fine art statues. Maybe that will mean I make a gargoyle from a combination of man and animal or maybe it'll be more abstract than that. I know what I'm aiming for now though with each part; power and depth.

Also, perhaps I can find a way to make semi-blind 3D work...

No comments:

Post a Comment