Friday 22 May 2015

ba3 - Evaluation



L09
This project started off quite slowly for me as I was spending a lot of my time working on CS rather than modelling. Once I started modelling the studies though, my understanding of the software increased dramatically and I was well set for modelling the folly; our final piece. 

One skill I learnt whilst working in the studies was how to bake normal maps from high-res models onto low-res ones. This allowed me to create a very low poly scene for my folly, as I was able to bake normal for most of the models. I overlaid the normal maps I’d made in Crazybump on top of the baked normal to create the normal maps you can see applied to the asset. 

I also applied ambient occlusion to everything in the scene as well as colour maps and specular maps.
Having so many maps did lead to quite a large file size though.

L10
After deciding on my folly idea I did a lot of research into the kitchen appliances around my accommodation as well as the overall layout of some kitchens. I made sure to include knowledge I’d learned from this research, such as consistent handles and lots of surface room to the way that appliances tend to rust and walls tend to degrade.

I kept to a fairly consistent schedule for updating my blog but It is quite rushed towards the end as I was working hard on the folly. 

I left working on the folly far too late into the project. I made most of it all in the last week. It certainly could have been more polished if I’d started work on it earlier. However, this did allow me to do much more work for my CS project.

L11
My journal is well annotated and includes various stages of development with both negative and positive critique on my own work. I talk about what I like and which areas need improving and how. I could have done more research into material and how to make a building structurally sound.
My CS presentation includes playboards and various iterations on character designs

L12
Everything is in the correct format as far as I’m aware (other than the specular maps for some early studies) 

Like I said previously, normal maps, colour maps, specular maps and ambient occlusion have been applied to all 8 objects in the scene. I used my knowledge of topology to create low poly assets which are suitable for a game environment. I UV mapped everything in the scene as well as using drawovers as a way to brainstorm layouts. I also used maya to quickly model the scenes beforehand using primitives to get an idea of what would work best.

No comments:

Post a Comment