Tuesday 4 October 2016

YEAR 3 - BA3a - Task 1 - Theme

I'm only intending to grey-box the hallway for this project with basic textures for the walls but I still feel like it's important that I have some kind of theme or if this hotel is set in the real world, a decade. The reason for this is because the theme determines so much about the layout of the hallway, the context for why the player is there, and the visual and audio ques I can use.

considering this hallway is a place once lived in it's tempting to go for the 1920's, given how lively everything was back then and the jazz/ swing music of the time elicits a feeling of age. My biggest concern is how cliche it might seem given how popular that time period is in current media (Fallout, Bioshock, etc).

One route might be to set the game in the future and have 'the past' as the current day. Perhaps I can reveal this in some kind of twist ending.

Here are some pictures of atmoshperic hallways I collated. Generally speaking the more lavish looking hotels seem to have wider hallways, more use of reds, carpets, seating and wall mounted pictures. The more 'atmospheric' looking hallways seem to generally have mostly unnatural light, generally darker 'mood' lighting and lots of variation in width, where small passages lead off to more doors etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment