Thursday 6 October 2016

YEAR 3 - BA3a - Task 1 - Level Design

I've been thinking about what to do regarding audio for the hallway and I've been collecting audio from freesound.org. I've also been recording my own audio.
I've made the players walking speed a fairly realistic slow walking pace because I can use it to create tension as well as making the player feel more in the characters shoes so to speak. I've also recorded a stepping noise and used variations on the noise to create real sounding stepping sounds for the same reason. I also intend to fake out the player by creating stepping noises from around corners etc
Another reason for the stepping sounds is to subtly cause the player to pay more attention to the audio, since I'm intending to use it a lot for guiding/ scaring the player.

I watched a GDC talk recently by Brendon Chung on Youtube recently called How to Tell Stories and Guide Players through Level Design and he talks about using things like buttons to force the player to look in a certain direction so you can do things behind their back, so I've included the ability to interact with certain objects in the scene so I can put this to use.
He also talks about making the geometry easily readable by putting bends at the ends of corridors and not hiding important passage ways behind sharp corners. However, since part of this project is about disorienting the player (whilst still guiding them through a space) I actually have hidden a passageway around a corner in the dark because I don't necessarily want the player to notice it on their first time walking past.
I do use light at the end of a hallway trick though because I DO want to guide the players in that direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment