Thursday 7 April 2016

YEAR 2 - BA2b - Materials, UI and variables

I've been unable to work directly on the game over the holidays because I wasn't able to transport my computer home but since I've been back I've made a fair few updates. I've changed how the dolls move so instead of trying to get exactly where the cursor is, they move towards that place and move slower the closer they are to the correct place. This means they don't feel as snappy but they don't fly off as much when you let go of the left click. The problem still persists that the dolls sometimes mistake what room they're in though by not realizing when they enter a new trigger box so I need to fix that.

I've also added a few variables to test out how they change under certain circumstances. The gif at the top of the page shows how the total food decreases as a doll is eating and you can see how the dolls in the attic and basement increase in fear. They also have hidden variables that are randomised at the start which increase the rate at which they become scared and whether they enjoy time alone or with company etc . . .

A lot of the UI should go in the final build as I'm looking to express emotions through how the dolls act instead and I'd like it to be ambiguous how the dolls actually feel a lot of the time. This should lead to some mystery for the player in figuring out why a certain doll might be acting a certain way. the ambiguity should make some of the dolls actions feel slightly random (but still within reason) and therefor the player can make up stories and scenarios for what they are seeing happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment