Thursday 21 April 2016

YEAR 2 - BA2b - Evaluation

Both Programming and Designing a game whilst Managing a team of 5 people for 6 weeks has been tough. There have certainly been times when frustration was high with people not doing what I'd asked and there were times where I didn't do things when I said I'd have them done for. I feel like the game itself is good though. I do think mechanically this game is lacking in areas and I take responsibility for that but the idea itself is very novel and was unexplored territory for me. I've learned a lot from developing this game. Firstly as the manager I need to keep a better track of what everyone's supposed to be doing. I did experiment with Trello and I probably should've stuck with it throughout but that's a lesson learned for next time. We did make good use of the Slack group I set up though. As a designer I think the concept was a good choice because it gave everyone on the team a potentially infinite amount of work to do so no one should've felt like they had nothing that they could be doing but it also didn't need TOO much to actually function. So the scope was flexible. One problem with the design is that it required a lot of foundation code in place before I could really call it 'playable' and by that time we were far through the project. So player testing was limited. We honestly didn't even get the point where testing would have been particularly useful because the systems never got to the point where they interacted with eachother enough and I had enough on my plate to work on throughout. Perhaps the game was overscoped slightly. Me and some other team members have agreed to carry on working on this game after hand-in because there's still more work we want to do on it and it gets exponentially better every time we add something new.

As well as what's previously mentioned I modeled, textured and created 2D artwork for the game where it needed doing. I feel like I distributed work evenly throughout the team who, also did work of their own volition. The ideas, documentation, assets and concept art I received that I didn't ask for were some of the most useful and contributed greatly to the project.

I did a lot of work for the team during the cross course collaboration. I was a big part of any discussions we had and I developed 2 interactive demonstrations working with other members in the team. I stayed back late in university working so as not to hold up development at any point during development.

No comments:

Post a Comment