Sunday 14 May 2017

YEAR 3 - BA3b - I'm now the director of a company && another round counter

At EGX Rezzed a while ago I spoke to Rami Ismail and he told me to talk to the people at ID@XBOX. They told me that as an indie developer I can apply to get on the XBOX and Windows Marketplace if I set up as a company.

Today I did just that. The conformation has come through that DENDRITE GAMES LTD is an official company that I am now in charge of. This means I can publish my games on the Xbox store and Steam now.

I've updated the round counter again now I've had feedback.
I figured the game needed an intermediate room between rounds to rest where I count up the score for them to clearly see. Above you can see a variety of designs I made.

The 1st one is similar to DuckGame where the two characters are moving horizontally to get to a location. I like the feeling of progression in this one.

The 2nd design is more thematic. I like the idea of the characters being in purgatory and fighting for a chance to go to heaven or hell so the weighing scales was in reference to that. It seems too abstract though and difficult to actually track.

The 3rd was going to be an animated clip of the characters removing health from one another but it seemed too confusing since that's what you do in the game anyway.

In the 4th design I went back to the faces again before running into the same mistake of only 4 rounds.

That's when I came up with the 5th and 6th designs that would just be like elongated faces.

Finally, in the 7th design I settled on a new cheerleader character that would cheer you on between rounds. Similarly to the main character, the face would represent the score but this time it's only horizontal so hopefully it won't confuse players.

This is what it looks like in game. I love the characterization. The width of the head is PROCEEDURALLY GENERATED based on the number of rounds the player has chosen. The character is actually made up of 5 different parts, lots of time and maths to get this working but I did it and I really love the result!

I also have separately themed celebration rooms based on what world the players were fighting in.

No comments:

Post a Comment