Monday 14 March 2016

YEAR 2 - BA2b - Multiple Dolls and Initial Asset Tests

With some extended discussion and deliberation I've managed to figure out how to efficiently model my blueprint to minimize the amount of code repetition. Essentially all the dolls are duplicates of eachother and they all have the same instruction EXCEPT each doll has a unique identifier that means that when they sinc their variables (every 5 seconds) with a global actor it saves them as individual variables within itself. eg. D1_currentRoom, D2_currentRoom, D3_CurrentRoom. Then when the dolls want to reference variables within other dolls they just have to check what the variable in the global actor is.
Anyway, this took a surprisingly long time to figure out and implement but I like it so far. It should make programming much quicker and therefor testing and making changes quicker.



Also, I made a super low-poly bed to see how it would look in game (since the camera is far out I told the team that they don't need to make particularly high-poly assets as a lot of detail would be lost).
This isn't my best effort but more of a test to see how low poly we could go whilst still looking good. It's safe to say that 13 polygons is too little.




I went slightly higher this time for some bedroom assets and concluded that about 100 polygons was about the minimum you could go without sacrificing quality but I'm letting the team make assets as high poly as they like as long as they're willing to UV map them.

However, given that ideally we need about 100 assets in the game I recommended that they keep the poly count as low as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment