Saturday 12 March 2016

YEAR 2 - BA2b - Movement and Room Understanding

Currently I've managed allow the player to move a doll around the house by clicking and dragging as you can see in this gif.

I've placed trigger boxes in each of the rooms that the doll references to figure out which room it's in and it seems to work okay but the doll jumps around a lot when the player moves the cursor. I think this is because it essentially set the dolls Y and Z axis to whatever the trace from player to wall hits. ie. when there are bumps in the walls it causes the doll to 'jump' to different positions as it's constantly trying to the correct position. I might need to include some kind of minimum movement threshold or limit the dolls maximum movement speed.

I've also set homework assets for the team to create this week since we're going to need to populate the house soon and I need to program interactions between the dolls and the objects in the house.

One problem I knew this project would have from the beginning is repetition of code. UE4 makes it really awkward to access variables from within other assets and even for the most basic interactions to occur the dolls are going to need at least 5 different main variables each but this number will probably increase drastically. I don't want to have to copy and paste bits of code from one blueprint to another especially since I want the game to allow for more than 3 dolls in the house at once potentially.

No comments:

Post a Comment