Monday 6 March 2017

YEAR 3 - BA3b - Arrays; edits and settings

I've finally made a start on the settings screen for the game. It felt necessary for a polished game to have one if I'm going to sell the game to a variety of people.

I also wanted a way to adjust the game volume so I could test out music playing in the background. This is so I can see what kind of music I'd like the game to have without having to change too much in-game.




I'm also testing out 3 different methods for automatically switching between rooms within worlds after a round because it's currently vague when somebody wins and it just restarts the current room.

I taught myself a new special type of array called a ds_list because it has more functions attached to it than normal arrays allowing me to check what number the current room is in the list for example. 

Caves: Finds the current room in the array of cave levels, removes it from the array, shuffles the array, and picks the first room in the new list. Then refills the array once it's empty.

MoltenCore: saves the current room in a variable, chooses a new room randomly from the array and checks if it's the same one. If it is, it chooses another one.

Peaks: Just cycles through the rooms one by one

I like he caves method the best because it should theoretically lead to the player experiencing all the rooms before playing the same one again. In practice this does not work though because there's something wrong with how I've programmed it.

The Molten Core method seems  to work consistently and with enough rounds the player experiences all the available rooms. I quite like how some rooms appear less frequently than others too because it makes them feel more special when you get them.


No comments:

Post a Comment