Sunday 11 October 2015

YEAR 2 - BA2a - Juice!

I watched 3 video's relating to game feel in the hopes of expanding my knowledge of what makes a game satisfying or 'fun'.

THIS one by JW from Vlambeer
THIS video by grapefrukt
and THIS series of videos by Cactus

Essentially, every action the player makes should have a strong visual and audio feedback loop
Ways to exemplify this would be:
- Punchy Audio
- Screenshake
- Destructible Terrain
- Permanence (leave any and all debris behind the player so they can look back and see what a mess they've made - can include rubble, dead bodies, bullet shells etc)

A few important things to note:
- All 3 of these developers make 2D games almost exclusively
- All 3 of these developers make very arcade style action oriented games

This was relevant to the original idea for the game
but now
my game is a survival horror with an emphasis on being quiet.

What I need to figure out:
Do I want my game to feel juicy?
    - could it ruin the horror; the tension?
If so, how do I apply what I've learned from these videos to my game?

No comments:

Post a Comment