Friday 6 November 2015

Silk Runner

Silk Runner came about when I was thinking about rollerskating. You can generate speed just by tilting your body to one side because the gravity pulls you down and that causes you to turn and gain some forwards momentum.

This game's basically about generating forwards momentum through turning. I made a variety of levels to try it out in but the racetrack is my favorite. It feels almost like being a hockey player trying to generate as much speed as fast as possible whilst using your hockey stick to try and keep the puck in front of you.

I think the other reason it's good is because the game is about accelerating and accelerating is always more exciting than just going quickly, but the faster you go, the less control you have over your movement so the game has an element of risk/reward.
Also, Tom Francis (game designer) always said that the most important thing to get right is that the most basic player function is fun to do. I.e. with no predetermined goals, the player can still have fun messing around. This game definitely has that.

The good thing about the method of movement as you core mechanic is that it can be applied to almost any other genre. The ones I can think of off the top of my head are:
Racing Game
FPS/ Team Deathmatch (I actually added the ability to shoot and it works well)
Sports Game
Single Player Action/Adventure

Anyway, I made this in a couple of days as a quick experiment and it seems to have worked out well and it's taught me a lot more functions I can use in my blueprints from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment