Tuesday 3 February 2015

Project 02 - Fish-ec-lips(e)


This masked man was my first attempt at creating something uncanny/creepy. I wanted to create something really ambiguous (and therefor creepy) by completely covering its facial features. The mask model was so thin that when I dynameshed it, holes formed. I decided to keep them in because of how they hint at the face behind but still keep it very hidden. They also look a bit like rust, implying that the mask has been worn for a very long time, which is creepy.
I also kept the tears in the mesh on the shoulders because I also felt that they added to the creepyness. 
 

This is what he looks like without the mask on. Very robotic and lifeless is kind of what I wanted. Just knowing this face is behind the mask makes it creepy. I like the cheeks on this sculpt too because of how vague the density of them is and in fact this whole face. It's all very ambiguous.

I really like drawing teeth and mouths in general. I think it probably has something to do with the huge amount of orthodontic treatment I've had. I know how creepy the emphasis on mouths can be if done well so I attempted that in this maquette.
I think what makes this sculpt creepy is how human the mouth looks relative to the rest of the model. I always found it really weird that fish have human-like teeth.

This image makes my skin crawl




I think it'd be even creepier with more teeth like the fish. Also, I was thinking about how it might mount to a building and I exaggerated the scale hugely. Imagine that cuboid as a building. How scary would that massive toothy head be?
 That or a lollypop that bites back.

No comments:

Post a Comment